Action Medical Research is teaming up with LifeArc to co-fund translational research projects from across the UK focused on children’s rare diseases. This joint fund will be used to support projects that have moved beyond basic understanding of disease mechanism into the development of a product that will benefit a paediatric rare disease patient population.
Applications are invited for projects that are focused on:
- delivering a therapeutic intervention (eg drug discovery or development of a new gene/cell therapy)
- testing of novel or existing therapeutic interventions in a pre-clinical or clinical (phases1/2) setting
- developing novel devices or diagnostics
- address a significant, unmet need for rare disease paediatric patients
- have a credible translational and development path to patient delivery
- should be target-driven with a milestoned plan
- have a strong scientific rationale
Up to £1m in total is available to spend on these co-funded projects with final outcomes to be announced in July 2019. Projects of up to three years duration and costing £250k maximum will be considered. Collaborations with industry and other academic partners are encouraged where relevant to the project. Applicants may submit one application per round.
Applications for co-funded projects will need to meet the remit and guidelines on the Action Medical Research website.
Review process and how to apply
This is a two-stage process and applications should be made to Action Medical Research using the specific outline application form for this call as it contains additional questions for translational research. You can access a link to the Action LifeArc outline application form here. Successful applicants from the outline stage will then be invited to complete a full application for full external peer review in open competition with other applications in the grant round.
Questions regarding the round should be directed to Action through our email address email@example.com
Applications that are not eligible for co-funding with LifeArc but meet the remit of Action Medical Research alone can use our normal outline form and will also be considered in the Action July round with a £200k ceiling.
The deadline for submission of outline applications is Tuesday 20 November 2018 by 5pm