Meet Paddington Bear™ and support his favourite UK charity: Dragon Boat racing event at Paddington Basin
The 2,000 year-old legend of Dragon Boat Racing will be taking place at Paddington Basin on the evening of Thursday 12 June. The event has been running at Paddington since 2000 and will this year be supporting children’s charity Action Medical Research, Paddington Bear’s favourite UK charity. Paddington Bear himself will be making an appearance at the race which begins with team briefings at 5pm.
The event, organised by Paddington Waterside and Partnership and sponsored by European Land, the developers of London’s newest quarter, Merchant Square, already has its full complement of 12 teams, including paddlers from: Prudential, Nissan, Mace, Crossrail and their contractors, Novotel, Splunk, Just Giving, Robin Partington Architects, European Land and Taylor Wimpey Central London.
A maximum of 11 crew members (10 plus one drummer), will make their journey into unchartered waters, competing in two races. There will be prizes available for the Fastest and Runner Up Team, Best Dressed Team and a Special Paddington Bear award for the Most Sponsorship Raised.
On the night refreshments will be available from the Merchant Square Streetfood Market, promising to be a lively night out. Free marmalade sandwiches will be available for all racers too!
Kay Buxton, Chief Executive of the Paddington Waterside Partnership, says: “We’re really excited about this year’s event, with teams lining up to complete for the fastest accolade. It’s wonderful to be supporting Action Medical Research this year, such a worthy cause doing great work to help sick babies and children and an added bonus that it is the favourite UK charity of the nation’s favourite - Paddington Bear.”
Action Medical Research has Medical research can save and change children’s lives. Yet surprisingly, medical research into conditions that devastate children’s lives is poorly funded. Action Medical Research is currently funding work around stillbirth, epilepsy, meningitis, cerebral palsy and brain cancer, as well as some rare and distressing conditions that severely affect children.
- ENDS -
NOTES TO EDITORS:
High res images can be downloaded using links below:
Action Medical Research is a UK-wide charity saving and changing children’s lives through medical research. We want to make a difference in:
- tackling premature birth and treating sick and vulnerable babies
- helping children affected by disability, disabling conditions and infections
- targeting rare diseases that together severely affect many forgotten children.
Just one breakthrough, however small, can mean the world.
Charity reg.nos 208701 and SC039284.
Merchant Square is a mixed-use waterfront development located around a central square and the Grand Union Canal in Paddington, Central London. The development is a 50:50 joint venture between the Reuben Brothers and the Jarvis family. It is being developed by European Land, whose track record includes The Point, The Waterside Building, Paddington Walk and Kings Chelsea.
The development comprises six buildings:
- Merchant Square, a proposed 41-storey landmark skyscraper incorporating a boutique hotel and apartments designed by Robin Partington Architects;
- Merchant Square, a proposed office development with ancillary retail designed by Robin Partington Architects;
- Merchant Square, a development of 159 luxury apartments with ground floor retail designed by Robin Partington Architects. Currently under construction, the apartments are available for sale off-plan;
- Merchant Square, also known as Waterline House, is a residential development with ground floor retail designed by Kalyvides Partnership. Completed in 2010, all of the apartments have been sold;
- Merchant Square, a 262,000 sq ft Grade A office building arranged over 15 floors with a ground floor restaurant and retail. Designed by award-winning architects Mossessian & Partners and completed in December 2010, it is part-occupied by Marks & Spencer;
- Merchant Square, a proposed residential development designed by Robin Partington Architects.
Further information is available at www.merchantsquare.co.uk
Paddington Waterside Partnership brings together the major landowners and developers at Paddington, one of London’s newest business and residential quarters. The Partnership acts as the thread that holds all interests of the location together; from developers and commercial occupiers, to local charities and community groups. Events like the annual Dragon Boat Racing at Paddington Basin connect the companies at Paddington to charities and surrounding community groups, through fundraising, volunteering and corporate community involvement.
Follow us on Twitter @inpaddington
Follow us at pinterest/PaddingtonW2
Visit our YouTube channel PaddingtonLondon